Sunday 29 May 2011

What is the next political step here in Shetland?


There are a lot of people willing to go on and shout and bawl about seperating Shetland from the United Kingdom. Personally, I think that there could possibly be massive gains in this for us all, not only for the fishing industry but oil too. In fact, everyone here in Shetland.

After the results of the last election, which I must admit surprised me a little as it was poorer than I thought it would be, the general public has been shouting loudly that they want this and that they need that.

What are we going to do about it?

Are we going to make a move to go it alone?

We can do it if the people want to. But they need to speak up. They need to be honest about their beliefs.

Where are you now, Billy?

2 comments:

  1. I quite agree, George.

    I don't know if we agree politically or not, in terms of parties, but I'm livid, spitting feathers,fist-shakingly furious at the result of the Inverclyde by-election today.

    Iain McKenzie is probably a really decent guy, but when will people accept that the Scottish MPs of mainstream British parties will inevitably always end up deferring to the priorities of their party in Westminster, priorities which never have Scotland's best interests at heart? (I ought to point out that in England, before moving to Scotland, I always did vote Labour.)

    It could have been worse, I guess - at least the Tories or Lib Dems didn't win. (Never a real possibility, thankfully.) However, the whole tone of Labour's campaign was, "The other parties are offering substandard horse manure. Come and eat our horse manure again - it's the horse manure you've always eaten, it's the horse manure you can trust."

    Yep, that's right - all we're being offered is horse manure! But at least we know where we are with Labour horse manure, so we may as well stick with it, rather than risk trying anything new. Never mind that "horse manure" has never done this area any great and lasting good!

    Bah! When are we going to get off our backsides and at least try and live a lifestyle that doesn't involve being fed the same old horse manure? When are we going to have the gumption to stop eating horse manure at all?

    As you say, we can do it if the people want to. But they're bally well gonna have to speak up about it. And we've all got to be braver than to keep sticking with (and making do with) the status quo.

    Ach well, perhaps I'm just mad because I'm on my sixth day of giving up cigarettes...?

    Thanks for listening, George. You've saved my wife from having to put up with me ranting!

    Best wishes,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the people want to Mark - but how much effort are they willing to put into changing the things that they moan about? They moan about this and they moan about that and the politicians do what they like - as long as they have the right hat on, of course. And if it gets no better then tell Shelagh that I'll put some earplugs in the post!!!

    ReplyDelete