Friday 25 May 2012

Yesterdays walk


Yesterday, it was warm and calm in Lerwick, the capital of Shetland. It wasn’t sunny but you can’t have everything, can you.

I had some business to attend to, and once that was done there was about four hours to waste so I thought and thought and thought about it. Most of the thoughts revolved around the pub but I held tight and stayed away. In doing so, not only did I save money but I stayed sober too.

I took a walk down to the museum and looked around the docks that they control. In the first area there was one boat in particular that broke my heart. It has obviously done a lot of work in its life and is now tied up in the dock, enjoying retirement.

            I walked along and there were some fishing boats from the 19th century, known as sixereens, pulled out of the water and obviously done up and painted. It must have been very hard work to use that sort of boat to go fishing in. There again, at that time it was the best that they had.

I'm very glad that it wasn't my job :))

No comments:

Post a Comment