Sunday 1 July 2012

Neolithic Shetland

Shetland, many thousands of years ago, was covered in trees until neolithic man arrived. He cut them all down and used them to build houses or bows and arrows or fires to cook food but whatever he used them for, he used them all and that is why Shetland now is covered in peat.

Because of this, I believe that some trees should be grown back. It cuts back the wind, therefore protecting the stock of sheep and allows some crop to be grown which allows the generation of natural earth. This sends the land, in quality, back thousands of years, which has to be good.

So I do my little bit in my back garden. I grow a couple of very young willows which, in a couple of years I will be able to take a couple of cuts off of which I will start and that will mean there are four. I also have a black hawthorn which I am looking forward to doing the same with.

It's a great pity that more people don't make the effort to return Shetland back to what it originally was but some do and one day, in more than just a few years, it may just happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment