Friday 30 March 2012

Neolithic man cut down all the trees

If there are any tree-freaks out there, I'm hoping that there will be ten Austrian Pines on the bus tonight - and before you get it wrong, no, they are not visiting and that's not why I've got the dinner on :))

I have a big thing about the fact that here in Shetland, neolithic man cut down all the trees to build houses (That's where D.I.T.T got it from ;) ) and to burn for heating and cooking, unfortunately using them all up. That's not all bad, if they hadn't then where would we have got the peat from but it has meant that Shetland has not had a reasonable amount of trees for a long, long time.

Because of this, I like to get a tree or two on the go. It's always obvious to me that, because of where I live, a few trees around help to break up the wind that comes in from the sea or the ocean.

So, with any luck, they will have been put on the bus for me and will arrive at the back of six.

Then I'll spend ages getting them planted and eventually I'll be living in the middle of a forest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment